Prevention of malware
The two biggest concerns for computer users are malware. With a little planning here are some ways that you can defend your computer against malware:
- Keep your computer’s software patched and current. Make sure both your operating system and anti-virus application are up to date. You should make it a habit to update it on a regular basis. Why not set a reminder in your calendar.
- Always download updates from reputable sources. For your operating system always go and use the legitimate websites of the company or the person who produced it.
- Before you install anything, always think and weight the benefits and risks. Be alert and aware of the fine prints in the conditions or disclaimer.
- Install and use a firewall to secure you PC. If you are operating system is running Windows XP you can use the built-in software firewall under the control panel. You can also download free versions of firewalls that work on all versions of Windows.
- Prevention with common sense is always better than cure.